Virginia Genealogical Society
|The Virginia Genealogical Society was organized in 1960. Our mission is to promote and foster family history education and research, publish genealogical information, and share accumulated knowledge. VGS Members receive 20% discounts on publications and other benefits. To learn more, visit Membership. To see member pricing on the website, you must have a member-level web account and log in using the login form on the left.|
VGS Website Launched
Thank you for visiting the new Virginia Genealogical Society website.
This site is based on open source industry-standard web database technologies. The site is dynamic, meaning all of the web pages are built as you request them, based on what is in the database at the time.
While there is more work on the site that needs to be done, principally, adding member access for all of our members, we wanted to give people the opportunity to take a look around, and let us know what you think.
We appreciate your patience while we add members to the members-only portion of the site, and provide them with access to members-only content and discounts on the site. This process will take a couple of weeks, please contact the webmaster if you want us to expedite the set up of your member access.
Things you might want to know as you peruse the site:
- The About page: What the Society is about, its purpose, and some of its activities and accomplishments. Awards and grants sponsored and awarded by the Society.
- The Events page: A Google calendar of the events we have in store.
- The Virtual VIGR (Virginia Institute of Genealogical Research) is mainly comprised of content for members only. You will need member access, and use this access to log into the site to see most of the Virtual VIGR content.
- Surname listing. As a member, you can edit your profile to share with other members one or more surnames and the localities in which you are searching for them. This is a member benefit, and the information you decide to share is only made available to members.
- The Membership page: This page explains membership levels. and links to subscribe or renew your subscription online.
- Online membership -- We are migrating membership from our current database into a database that also facilitates access on the website. If we have your e-mail address, we can set up your access, and when we do so you will receive an e-mail with your access information.
- Online donations -- are available from the Registration link.
- Online store-- The online store allows you to:
Please note: We will need a current e-mail address if we do not already have it. Both our site and PayPal, where purchases will take place (whether you use PayPal or a credit card), will require an e-mail address. (We can deal with exceptions as needed, but would like to limit that in order to get the right information to you about your membership, the Society, and your purchases and donations.)